Wednesday, January 27, 2010
This is my understanding and what I heard.
- JavaOne 2010 will still run at Moscone Center (San Francisco, Ca)
- No change on content (focus on Java technology)
– No change in process and revue
- CommunityOne still on the agenda
- JavaOne will become a traveling event (China, Russia, India etc.)
JUGs and Java champion programs:
– The Java champion program will be supported and will not be merged with Oracle programs like ACE (good news for our Java champion Hakim…)
– The JUG program is still on the agenda, support will continue
- Java.net: Only the logo will change, the content stays the same
What about Africa?
During the conference I asked if Oracle had plans for some Java or Oracle events in Africa. Justin’s answer was something like this: No plan for JavOne in Africa but we could expect some regional events in the next years.
What’s your feeling about that?
Friday, January 8, 2010
Is it still possible to ask this question in 2010?
Isn’t the answer obvious ?
Well no ! It was the question I was asking myself three years ago, even though I had been working as a consultant and Java trainer for seven years. In 2007, my ex-colleague Éric Marcoux (Oracle ACE Director) suggested I join JUG Québec (Canada). I said JUG ? Java User…What ?
Several months later, I went to JavaOne 2008 and when I saw so many developers, architects, engineers from so many countries and so many amazing projects...
... and heard Matt Thompson (ex-SUN) and nearly 40 JUG Leaders talk about importance of the Java community at «Think Globally and Act Locally» session and met Micheal Levin the co-founder of the impressive West African JUG in Senegal, the question wasn’t «What’s a JUG?» anymore but rather «How can a sense of community and belonging be fostered among Java developper in Africa ?». For me the need of JUG-AFRICA became evident.
After talking with Java developpers across Africa, I think JUG-AFRICA could help address questions such as :
- How to take part in international and regional events ?
- How to increase the visibility of the communities accross the world ?
- How to create link with Java communities across the world ?